Frequently asked questions
Where can I view the new Allocations Scheme?
I’ve forgotten my password. What do I do?
If you have forgotten your password(s) go to LOGIN and then select FORGOTTEN DETAILS and follow the instructions provided. A new temporary password will be emailed to you (please ensure you check any junk email folder).
I don't have or don’t like using a computer, can I fill in a paper copy of the housing register application?
No. The application form is not available in paper format; all applications need to be completed online. If you do not have access to a computer or have difficulty using one then a family member, friend or advocate may be able to help you.
Can someone help me complete an online application?
Yes, the person helping you will be able to complete the form and there is a question to record their details.
In exceptional cases Birmingham City Council may be able to assist you to complete a form by telephone. This service is subject to strict criteria and is likely to be in high demand. Please contact us on 0121 303 7410 if you believe that you need this service.
Do I need to supply documents when I apply?
Applicants will need to provide the following documentation when making an application:
- Passport or Birth Certificate (For all household members to be rehoused)
- Proof of Child Benefit
- Utility Bill or Council Tax Bill (Dated within the last 3 months)
- Financial records for the last 3 months relating to assets and savings
- All legal records relating to property ownership
- Details of any unspent convictions
- Proof of Immigration status where applicable
Applicants shortlisted for a property will be required to provide original documents including proof of identification and income. You will be provided with further information of the documents required at that stage.
Can I bid for properties as soon as I register for housing?
No, once you have submitted your online application you will need to wait for a decision.
Can my application to join the new Housing Register be refused?
Yes, there are some people who will not be eligible or qualify to be included on the Housing Register.
How do I request a review of the decision?
You have the right to request a review within 21 days of receiving the decision. This will be explained in your decision letter.
You will need to tell us about the decision(s) you want us to review, for example:
- You are not eligible to join the housing register
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because of unacceptable behaviour
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because you have no housing need
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because of excess income or assets
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because you have no local connection to Birmingham
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because of an inability to hold a legal tenancy
- You do not qualify to join the housing register because you have refused offers of accommodation
- You disagree with the priority you have been given
- You have been awarded Band D after refusing a reasonable offer of accommodation
- Not everyone in your household has been included on your application
You might want to tell us why you think our decision is wrong and what you want us to do.
You can request a review by:
- Completing an online review form - Online Review Form
You will normally be notified of the outcome of your review by email within 56 days of receipt by the Council.